Having a bad experience at a previous dental appointment will cause many people to be afraid of visiting the dentist. Consequently, that’s not the only reason people have anxiety when visiting a Saratoga dentist or anywhere else. There are actually many reasons why people avoid the dental office.
Why Are People Afraid Of Visiting The Dentist?
- Parent Behavior: It is possible to learn anxiety from your parents? This means if your child sees your anxiety and fear of going to the dentist, they’re much more likely to be scared of the dentist as well.
- Pain: Many kinds of dental procedures can cause some amount of pain. If you don’t visit the dentist because you’re afraid of pain, it will eventually cause you more pain by ignoring dental problems. It’s a vicious cycle!
- Fear of Needles:. A local anesthetic is necessary to help make patients comfortable during many procedures. This obviously creates a problem with those with a phobia of needles.
- Cost: It’s no secret, dental care can be very expensive. If a client has money problems, the thought of paying hundreds of dollars at the dentist is enough to skip the dentist.
- Threats: Threatening your child with a dentist visit for not brushing their teeth can create fear. Instead, encourage kids to create good habits for oral hygiene by making brushing fun. Keep the dentist a positive place for kids visit.
- Embarrassment: When a person feels embarrassed of their teeth or has low self-esteem, it can keep them from going to the dentist. Some issues may include bleeding gums or bad breath
We’ll Help You Get Over Your Fears: Visit Your Dentist Today
Your dental health is going to suffer if you do not get over your fear of the dentist. Even people with a near-perfect diet and incredible dental hygiene routines, will still develop dental problems. These include hardened tartar that needs to be removed to prevent cavities, tooth decay, gum disease, and other major dental problems.
Remember, prevention is always the least expensive and painful way to take care of your dental treatment. Dental cleanings may cause you to be uncomfortable or have tooth sensitivity for a very brief time. On the contrary, it does a great deal in preventing pain from major dental work.
Visit The Best Saratoga Dentist
Unfortunately, anxiety will cause people only to visit the dentist when something is wrong. This means more invasive dental procedures will be needed. Some dental problems can be reversed like a Cavity, but you would need to catch any tooth decay early. Gingivitis can lead to gum disease, which can be linked to more health problems including heart disease and diabetes.
As said previously, avoiding the dentist will only cause you more problems over time. Hopefully this will encourage you to take care of your anxiety sooner than later. We recommend visiting your Saratoga Dentist at Alpenglow Dental every six months. To schedule your next dental cleaning, give the top Saratoga dentist office a call today at (801) 614-2464. Trust us, you’ll be glad you did!